Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stable smell

I bought me some nice wool!!


I bought some lovely coloured Black-Dark Brown-Light Brown wool. The colouring is beautiful, but now that I am washing it I have encountered a few maggets. Luckily I used to go fishing a lot when I was a little girl so I have handled a gazillion of them and I can handle these few too, but I don't like them in what I hope will someday become a nice sweater. I don't know what it means for the quality of the wool and how it will end up, but I just keep working on it. The first batch is outside drying. My kitchen smells like a stable...i have the door open, so it isn't to bad, kinda feels like living on a farm.





I also bought some light beige wool, a part of that first batch is now on the stove in the leftover I had from dyeing the shopping bag holder (I also dyed a cotton fabric so I can make another bag to go in the car). When I was finished with dyeing that I decided I didn't want to throw the leftover away, I decided it was better to see if I could use it to dye some wool. So I added some vinnegar and some washed wool and we will see what happens, the coulour is named "Fluorescent Green"....Maybe, if there is still some pigment left and it holds on the batch which is now in the pot I will add some more...

I also bought some red Merino roving with which I am now trying to spin. Just trying and trying and see how it turns out.





I added a wish list on the right , I discovered there are some things I really want/need/have to have. The first is a drum carder. I have some hand carders that came with the spinning wheel, but I don't think they will give me much pleasure... I will receive my end year bonus next week and I might be able to stretch that with some things i need to pay and go for the junior drum carder. The way I see it, I can experiment with the wool, put everything online except for the wool I am sure I want to use for myself, and take them of the website if I decide to do something with them anyway. This way I will also let my wool pay for itself (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment